Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Time to Floss

One of the most helpful sewing tips I ever received was from a friend who was taking a sewing class. I was probably in the middle of several Halloween costumes and mentioned how much I hate gathering things--two basting stitches that I could never get quite straight, then having your thread break halfway through the process. What a pain.

She told me about a special kind of cording that you can zig-zag over, then just pull the fabric to the correct size. "Or," she said, "you can use dental floss too." That little trick has saved me literally hours of time over the years. I've also learned that once your pieces are sewn together, you can pull the dental floss out and use it for the next project (reduce, reuse, recycle)--if you haven't sewn right through it, that is. Dental floss has become a staple of my sewing room.

I also keep a roll of floss in my kitchen. If you're feeling especially ambitious and want to make cinnamon rolls, once you've rolled up your log of bread and filling, wrap the floss around it and pull. So much slicker than a knife, which only squishes the log into an oval-type shape, and much, much faster.

The only real challenge I have with dental floss is remembering to use it in the bathroom.

3 comments:

  1. Boy, who would have thought. Those are some clever uses for floss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever Josh flosses he goes straight to the kitchen drawer. That's where I keep our floss--for slicing cinnamon rolls! Floss is fantastic stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah i knew that trick! that is how my mom taught me to do it. just make sure it isn't the mint flavor :)

    ReplyDelete