Monday, October 12, 2009

Going Green vs. the Worst Messes

I think I'm a pretty environmentally friendly person. We downsized our 90-gallon garbage dumpster for a 40-gallon one, have a compost bin in the back yard for organic waste, and recycle just about everything else. While the city does't take cereal box liners in the recycle bin, I at least reuse them for things like crushing bread crumbs, rolling out pie dough, and transporting the compost from the kitchen to the outside bin(they typically don't leak). I even take my reusable bags to the grocery store now. However, there are just some messes that it's really greener to not go so green.

Tonight, Chris made spaghetti & marinara sauce for dinner--yet another recipe he'd gotten from school (I'm loving this cooking class of his). Unfortunately, the pan was desparaging. Tomato paste leaves a thick residue like no other. To set that in the sink to soak would then stain the whole sink and everything in it red, not to mention the amount of soap and water I'd need to clean that out too. Then there's the sponge I'd have to throw away afterward. Still holding out for a new dishwasher.

So paper towels are my friend. Fortunately they can easily solve many of the worst cleanup problems. I go for the big, thick, slightly pricier ones because it only takes me a couple to handle a really horrible job. Three paper towels later, that 12-inch pan won't even need to soak tomorrow. Sometimes we end up trading one type of "green" for another. Living green has its place, but so does just living.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is hard to compare the cost of reconditioning soapy water with the cost of an additional paper towel in the landfill. Both still have an impact on our environment. I look for ways to "leave no trace" wherever I go. When I can't, I look for the option with the least impact. Sometimes it comes down to a gut hunch. No impact is best, but a deliberate effort to be a wise steward is a good runner up.

    ReplyDelete