Saturday, October 3, 2009

Stir Fry

Two nights ago, my eldest son wanted to make dinner--the recipe being one that he had made in his foods class at school. But he hadn't written down the ingredient measurements. "Just tell me what was in it and I can go from there." Brown sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch . . . We mixed and dumped until it looked right, and though it may not have been identical to the precicely measured school variety, it was awfully close. It's good to know how to measure correctly, since you have a greater chance of things turning out with the same result every time, but honestly, who has time to do that? I think the real reason we need recipes is so you can remember aproximately what you did last time and not leave something important out. So here's my reference for later:

Sauce:
1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1 T cornstarch
2-3 T soy sauce
1/4 c water
1 t ginger

Fry 1-2 lb cubed chicken in 1/2 teriyaki sauce until browned

Slice up 3-4 carrots, 3-4 celery stalks, and anything else that sounds good, and fry up in pan with remaining sauce.
He had peppers in the original, which I didn't like, so I substituted the celery. I also threw in a can of sliced water chestnuts. Next time I need to add some onions too.

No comments:

Post a Comment