Monday, February 14, 2011

Milk Chocolate vs. Dark

Not long ago, John and I discovered a little sweet shop in the Avenues. Reportedly, they had the best hot chocolate in Salt Lake and we decided to see if it was true. Not often would I pay $5 for a 10 oz cup of cocoa, but we found it was well worth the experiment. It was like drinking liquid truffle. Mmmmmm! Hatch Family Chocolates even offered a milk and a dark chocolate variety. I selected the first while John took the second. I sampled his and he tried mine. Both of us determined we’d selected the better option.

This past weekend we felt the pull to go again. We even took the same walk we had before along 4th Avenue toward the city cemetery. As we talked, I noticed a beautiful parallel between the steaming cups in our hands and our life in general. While I like a good dark chocolate, I find that I really prefer milk. John will go for dark every time. Makes it easy to share an assorted box of treats.

Similarly, there are other areas in our married life where our interests and tastes just don’t match up. In the past, I’ve been inclined to feel a little threatened or insecure by such differences, thinking that my opinions and tastes weren’t as good. But like chocolate, there’s not a good or bad, there are just assorted varieties. I now realize that such differences make it easier to share the things that are unique about ourselves with each other. Am I willing to try a little dark chocolate once in a while? Of course! Can I listen to different music or examine new artwork or read a book I wouldn’t have considered if I know that it’s something he values? Yes. And he does the same for me. I can have an appreciation and love for dark chocolate while still preferring milk, and it doesn’t change who I am. Learning to share the chocolates in our lives makes living ever so much sweeter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment