Sunday, March 13, 2011

Haystacks

I don't mind cooking, but I do like to get in-and-out of the kitchen quickly. Especially on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Haystacks are one of my favorite meals to make because I can toss it together in 15 minutes or less.
I start by setting my rice to cook, then assembling the toppings from their various hiding places in the kitchen.  I empty the can of cream of chicken soup into a large bowl and drain the can of chicken into it, then add milk. It's also enough time to make up a quick spinach salad (or the asparagus I happened to have this week). The rice takes 12 minutes to cook, and three minutes to set. The chicken soup gravy cooks in the microwave during those three minues.
All that's left is to have the kids set the table and call "DINNERTIME!"

Two favorites of the week:
Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op.
For $15 paid on Monday, you pick up a basket of fruit & a basket of vegetables on Saturday. Sometimes includes options to purchase other items in bulk. Last week, I bought 9 pineapples for $14! (and split it with a couple friends) The asparagus and blackberries were part of this week's fare.

Pampered Chef Rice Cooker.
Our family eats a LOT of rice. After we blew through our first rice cooker, I tried a microwave version. I can make 3 cups of uncooked rice (to 6 cups water) in 12-15 minutes. And the cleanup is super quick: rinse it out or toss it in the dishwasher.

http://intuitivehomemaking.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment