Friday, September 17, 2010

That Stuff You Make when Dad's Not Here

Admittedly, I don't enjoy cooking for an unappreciative audience. Usually, my husband enjoys and is grateful for nearly everything I fix for dinner. Not so for the kids. (Though now that I have a couple of teenagers, they are beginning to eat just about anything...)

There is one particular dish, however, that John is not especially fond of. But all my kids like it. This simple creation takes about 15 minutes to throw together, and as it was originally concocted from some odds-and-ends in our food storage, it is standard fare for when Dad's out-of-town. No matter what name I try to give it, they don't understand what's for dinner until they look in the pot and say, "Oh, that's the stuff you make when Dad's not here." As of tonight, I believe that is its official name. Dad is on a scout camp with our youngest son tonight, so here's my evening meal before I consumed it:
In a large pot, cook up a 16 oz. bag (or box) of any type of pasta. I typically use maccaroni, but I take whatever choice the child willing to enter the depths of the storage room chooses. Tonight we got rotini. When done, drain and return to pot.

Add in 1 can each diced tomatoes, tomato paste, corn, and beans. Usually we have kidney beans, but apparently we're out, so these are black beans. (Make sure you drain the last two--it doesn't taste good runny.)

And for good measure, I also microwave and add 1 lb. hamburger (stirring/mashing with fork every minute or so until done), a handful of shredded cheese, and about 1/3 c. ketchup. Warm for a few more minutes until cheese melts .

That's it, really. Not very exciting, but extremely fast with minimal cleanup. That's the only kind of meal I'll make when Dad's away.

http://intuitivehomemaking.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like something I could make from the contents of my pantry, always nice to have recipes like that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete