Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Red-Ribbon White Bread

About three months into my engagement to John and three months still to go, my sweet grandmother invited us to their house to open our wedding gift from her and Grandpa. Much to our astonishment, it was a Bosch mixer, very much like the one she always made bread in. Admittedly, it sat unused in a cupboard of our tiny apartment for most of the time we lived there, but I promised myself when I had a house of my own, it would have a place of honor on the counter. And it has ever since.

If your mixer doesn’t hold the volume of a Bosch, it’s easy to cut in half. One batch makes four full-sized loaves.

5 c. warm water
2 T yeast
½ c. sugar
½ c. oil
2/3 c. powdered milk
2/3 c. potato flakes
2 eggs
2 T. salt
12-15 c. flour

Pour water into mixer and sprinkle in yeast. The rest of the ingredients can be added after a minute or so. I always start with the sugar (because it helps feed the yeast) and end with salt (because it halts the growth of the yeast) before I start adding the flour. Mix in 6-7 cups flour until dough is smooth (it will be very sticky). Add in the rest of the flour 1-2 cups at a time until the dough is not sticky to the touch (if it comes off on your fingers, keep adding flour until it doesn’t. Once dough is desired consistency, let it mix for several more minutes. At least in a dry Utah climate, the most helpful thing to having bread rise and not dry out and crack in the process is oil. Where many recipe books will say to roll out dough on a floured board, I use oil instead. I’ll pour several tablespoons of oil out on my counter, take a pastry brush to spread it out and oil the pans with it at the same time, then rub my hands in it to get it out of the mixing bowl.
Divide the dough by pinching in half, then half again until there are four loaves.
If the mixer has done its job right, it only takes about 2-3 times kneading by hand to shape dough into loaves.
Place into pans, brush oil on the tops, and cover with a dishcloth to rise.
After about an hour (I use rapid-rise yeast, regular yeast may take a little longer) the dough should be ready to bake. Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 30 minutes. When done, remove bread from pans and place on wire rack to cool so the bottom doesn’t get mushy. I usually run a stick of butter over the tops while they're still hot, which gives them a nice golden glaze. This is my family’s favorite, and after several years of experimenting with ingredient proportions, it took second place in the State Fair in 2005.
I never did master Grandma’s wheat bread recipe, but over the years I’ve adapted my own. One note here is that it typically takes about 16 cups of wheat flour for 100% whole wheat bread. There’s also a big difference between red wheat and white wheat, and white wheat has a much nicer, lighter flavor and texture if you're grinding your own. I know you can buy whole wheat flour in the grocery store, but I've never tried it, so I can't vouch for it. :)

For wheat bread, I actually use the same recipe as white, but there are three critical extra ingredients that make up for the lack of gluten found in white flour so that the bread will be light, moist, and fluffy instead of dry and dense. They’re typically found at specialty food stores (like the Bosch Store—that’s where I go), but they make all the difference—and they last a very long time.

2 T. dough conditioner
2 T. vital wheat gluten
2 T. lethicin oil

Imagine my surprise though, when my wheat bread recipe, based off my white bread, won a blue ribbon that same year.

http://intuitivehomemaking.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. This post makes me want to buy more food storage (ie potato flakes and powdered milk) and purchase a Bosch with my tax return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fiona. It is a nice way to use some of those items, like powdered milk, that you're not always sure what to do with from your food storage. I've actually made this bread without both of those ingredients and it still turns out quite well. They just give it a little extra flavor and a nicer texture. If you do get a Bosch, you won't regret it. And fifteen years later, it works as good as ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for a great bread recipe to use with my Bosch- I'm excited to give this one a try! I ran into your blog while blog-surfing, hope you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind at all. I'm quite flattered actually! Thanks for saying hello, and I hope you enjoy the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete