Sunday, July 3, 2011

Especially for Youth

Every once in a while, I have an inward sigh of relief that I’m really doing OK as a parent. Ironically, it tends to happen most when my kids aren’t actually here. My girls were deemed polite, courteous, and helpful by the families they stayed with during Youth Conference. My youngest son seemed most happy and independent when he spent two weeks with his grandparents attending a math camp at BYU. He hardly used the phone we got him as an early birthday present so he could keep in touch with us. And this week I saw a spiritual growth and maturity budding in my two teenage sons from their time at Especially for Youth.

Every day when I picked them up, they’d be bursting with excitement from the things they learned in gospel study or a devotional. They shared insights on the scriptures they’d had. They talked about the many friends they’d made. I could tell how much more outgoing they’d become when put in a position where they needed to be so. They grew daily more comfortable with themselves and others, secure in the good choices they’re making.

I’ve taught and trained them for many years, hoping that they would find good friends and personal strength when they hit their formative teenage years. Times like this give me hope. They love the associations they have with other youth that are striving to do the right thing. Even when they come home and squabble with their siblings, bang around the house, or leave thoughtless messes wherever they go, they’re “getting it” where it’s most important and eventually (I hope) the rest will fall into place.

John and I have often talked about “buying memories” for our children by going to the movies, the zoo, out to dinner, or taking family vacations. In much the same way, when our children are navigating the rocky waters of teenage years, we find ourselves now “buying spiritual experiences.” Or more accurately, “buying opportunities for spiritual experiences.” Gifts of the spirit are just that—gifts—and the recipient needs to be prepared to receive them. However, with teenagers, it often helps to create the right backdrop for youth to open themselves up to feeling and recognizing the Spirit. It is no wonder that the church spends a great deal every year for camps and conferences for our youth. That’s where they tend to grow the most. It’s a small investment in training our future leaders.

Seeing the caliber of my sons’ new friends, how much they’ve grown in the course of this week, and their renewed commitment to live up to high standards, I realize with a contented smile that there are some things in life you really can’t put a price on.

No comments:

Post a Comment