Sunday, April 25, 2010

Grandma's Whole Wheat Pancakes

As I’ve mentioned other places in this blog, I spent a lot of time at my Grandma Smith’s house during my growing up years. We went nearly every Friday night, then she and Grandpa would bring us home on Saturday. She helped us work on sewing projects ,or read stories, or listen to music, or play games like Flinch and Mahjong. But she always encouraged us to help out in the kitchen when it was mealtime.

Best of all was when she decided to make pancakes for breakfast. She never made it out of a box, and she was quite health-conscious, so we ground the wheat ourselves. Grandma owned a large old wheat grinder that allowed you to pour the wheat into the opening at the top, and a fine brown flour would be deposited in a drawer at the bottom. Of course, a good deal of it got sprayed into the air too, so you never wanted to stand too close, especially because it sounded like a jet engine taking off and the noise was deafening.

The wheat grinder I bought a decade ago is significantly smaller, considerably quieter, and much less messy. Yet I don’t always take the time to set it up and use it. Hence, I often make pancakes from mixes when I’m in a hurry. But every time I make them from scratch I only use this recipe. With my family, I have to triple the batch in an enormous bowl so that everyone can have their fill. They’re that good.

2 eggs (separated)
2 c. milk
1/3 c. oil
3 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder (rounded)
1 t. salt
2 c. whole wheat flour

In small bowl, whip egg whites until stiff.
In large bowl, mix egg yolks, milk, and oil. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Add flour. Fold in egg whites gently.
Fry on 300° griddle, measure out with ¼ c.
If you want a special treat, slice up some bananas on top before you pour the syrup on—we never failed to hear how that was the way Uncle Bri ate pancakes on his mission to South Africa. So we often ate them that way too.

http://intuitivehomemaking.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks I am going to try these. I just LOVE me recipes....If u have any other good ones and would like to pass it along to let me know. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margarita! Hope you enjoy them. I try to post a new recipe once a week on this blog, so I hope you'll find some others you enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete